[vdr] Re: two VDR boxes

Hello,

 > Why would you want to record the same thing twice?
 > And even if you do, you probably do not want to record it
 > into the same directory.

You may not _want_ to, but it might happen, e.g. due to a user not being
aware of a timer on the other machine.

 > To answer your original question: It would indeed be
 > needlessly complicated to (for example) change record file
 > names from nnn.vdr and index.vdr to nnn.vdr-ID and
 > index.vdr-ID where ID is a setup parameter, because VDR
 > would have to create separate entries in the recordings menu
 > for them.

I think, it would be sufficient to check whether a recording with a
certain name already exists and choose a different name for the
recording directory.

 > Also, old VDR versions would not be able to recognize that.
These would probably just show the two recordings?

 > The only thing that might really be needed, might be a
 > locking mechanism that prevents vdr to record into a
 > directory that is already being recorded into.

Which is probably even worse, because when a machine crashes it may not
be able to clean up a lock file properly.

Just my two cents,
Lars

Home | Main Index | Thread Index