[vdr] Re: /video directories on a CD/DVD?

Jan Ekholm wrote:
Hi,

Our VDR machine has a fairly small partition reserved for /video, it's
only about 50G, so it fills up pretty easily. The disk will be changed one
of these days, but I'm too lazy to do it and the machine is in daily use
so I don't really want too much downtime. :) Having more than one disk is
far too hot/noisy and not an option.

Anyway, one solution for permanent storage is to encode stuff to DVD and
burn on a DVD-r or rw for playback on the normal DVD player. This again is
far from trivial as the encoding process seems to be *extremely* tricky to
get to work, as it involves installing lots of weird applications with
very specific versions, and the result may or may not work. So getting the
real DVD encoding to work is probably best left for Windows or an OSX
machine where the tools are more mature. :)

Another solution would be to just dump the raw VDR directory hiearchy for
a show on a DVD-rw. It would waste lots of space, but should be doable.
The actual burning I can do with my normal workstation, but I'd like to be
able to just pop a DVD into the VDR machine and whatever is on the disk
would show up in the normal "Recordings" menu. So, what I'm wondering is
wether VDR can directly use a DVD that is mounted as, say, /video1 (the
normal partition would be /video0)? Or are the /videoX directories only
scanned when VDR is started, meaning that dynamically mounted disks can't
be used? I guess that if the DVD is mounted when VDR starts there is no
problem, but what if the DVD is mounted after VDR has started (and also
unmounted)?
Doesn't Media-Detection plugin do that ?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index