[vdr] Re: A couple of DXR3 problems

In <200411040924.02919.jukka.tastula@kotinet.com>, Jukka Tastula wrote:

> On Thursday 04 November 2004 02:30, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > I've currently got two problems with the DXR3 (VDR 1.3.15, DXR3 plugin
> > 0.2.3pre2 with Lock()/Unlock() removed from dxr3syncbuffer.c). The first
> > problem is that VDR keeps putting it into letterbox mode for a 4:3 TV,
> > but I've got a 16:9 TV. The aspect ratio setting in the DVB menu doesn't
>
> Have a look at
> http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/vdr/2004/10-2004/msg00628.html
> (I can't find who came up with it originally)
>
> The patch for dxr3interface.c is what you want to apply.
>
> There seems to be no way to make the tv switch aspect ratio automatically
> so you'll still need to switch manually between 16:9 and 4:3 modes (on
> your tv, not in vdr or dxr3). Just set the tv aspect to 16:9 in the DVB
> menu and you're all set.

That's the behaviour I'd prefer anyway, my TV has a better range of
options for dealing with 4:3 than VDR etc. It would be nice if it could
switch automatiaclly, but I don't think the necessary signal pins are
there in S-Video, unless that's what some of the extra ones besides the
usual 4 are for.

> > The second problem is probably more serious, I can't fast forward
> > through recorded material. For the first few minutes of the programme
> > what happens is that it starts fast-forwarding OK, then slows right
> > down. It looks as if it's displaying just the key frames you usually see
> > when fast-forwarding, but instead of running them together rapidly it's
> > pausing after each one so overall progress through the programme is as
> > its playback speed. I have to keep toggling fast-forward.
>
> Another NPTL problem? Try setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 before running
> vdr.

That's something to do with NPTL replacing an older threading mechanism
and the linker having to work around it? I've tried reading
<http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html> but the author
seemed to get so involved in the background detail that he completely
forgot to explain LD_ASSUME_KERNEL which was supposed to be the point of
the article!

> You can also jump back and forward with the green and yellow keys btw ...

Yes, I found that eventually, and the Jump feature you can get with the
red button, so I got to the 10 minutes out of the 2 hour show I wanted
in the end!

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Home | Main Index | Thread Index