[vdr] Re: Suggestion: new SVDRP command to cut a recording

hm@seneca.muc.de wrote:

> Helmut Auer <vdr@helmutauer.de> wrote:
> > > I would like to implement a new SVDRP command to have a remote machine
> > > start a cutting thread. Reason:
> > >
> > > My 2 machines share a common NFS with all the recordings on it. Cutting
> > > should always take place on the fast server that hosts the NFS. The much
> > > slower living room machine should not be bothered with cutting, having to
> > > read and write everything over the WLAN. It would be easy to implement a
> > > reccmds entry, invoking a cutting thread on the server if we had a SVDRP
> > > command, like
> > >
> > > RCUT <dirname>
> > >
> > I double that suggestion. And even better would it be to be able to choose the destination
> > directory !
>
> That's hard to implement I guess, mainly because it would require far
> more communication between client and server. The default behaviour
> (same directory, % prepended) is just okay with me. But you're welcome to
> add this feature :-))
>
> Klaus, what do you think?

First I think that the command name is not well chosen.
It should not refer to any "remote" stuff, since there is nothing
"remote" about this (although, from your point of view, it might
look like a "remote" command). It is simply a command like
all the others. Following the naming conventions of the other SVDRP
commands I would suggest to use either CUTR (as in CUT Recording)
or simply EDIT (since there is nothing else to CUT).

Second, I wouldn't use the file name as indicator, but rather the number
in the list of recordings, as it is done in the DELR command.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index