[linux-dvb] Re: some points on vdr

On 18 Aug 2001, Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> Once upon a time Sergei Haller shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >I am building a vdr box (MSI-6215 + Hauppauge DVB-s 2.1 + 40G HDD +
> >Pioneer DVD-106S + Hauppauge Remote over the IR receiver on the MSI
> >board through LIRC + LCDproc with a 20x4 LCD)
>
> Would you please be so kind an document the way you managed
> LIRC to use the Ir receiver?
> BIOS setting and which LIRC parameters?

high!

(the box has no monitor and no keyboard now and is
not even on the lan, so I may remember something wrong)
here is the procedure:

I just used the default BIOS settings (AFAIR half duplex, IRRX/IRTX)
then I compliled
"IrDA subsystem support" and
"IrPORT (IrDA serial driver)" under "Infrared-port device drivers"
into the kernel (I used it with 2.4.7 and 2.4.9)
and NO support for "normal" serial devices. AFAIK if you want to use the
com1 you have to compile a module and load it after the IrDA system.

I configured lirc 0.6.3 to use the serial port 2. (with setup.sh)

I hope this helps.
this week I'll update to the new vdr version and want to make some nice
commands into the command.conf, so Ill take the box to the monitor and
keyboard again.
let me know, if you want, I can send you my configs of the kernel and the
lirc package.

BTW. is there any program which could `scan' the whole freq. range and
store all found channels in one big file (in any format) ?

PS. I am using hauppauges remote control unit and its signals are not
received if the rcu is more than 1 meter away from the receiver. I will
try an other rcu to see if it is a fault of the rcu or of the ir receiver.

> The MS-6215 would be real nice box.
> It is very "complete".
> But:
> The CPU fan is much too loud (reduced power to 9V using a
> 3V Zener-Diode and now it is OK, CPU is at 36C, ambient 32C )
> But the power supply fan is still too loud.

at least I talk myself into believing ( ? ich versuche mir einzureden ? )
this is not louder than a running VCR. :)
I have to try to make the cpu fan slower too.

BTW. are you using the lm_sensors package to monitor the temperatures? do
you know which of the temp1, temp2 is the cpu sensor and which one is the
chassis sensor? I tried to look into the bios monitoring page, then boot
quickly and look onto the lm_sensors, but I still don't know if my choice
was right.

one disadvantage of the MSI-6215 is that it just has a bit too little
room. the dvb-s is too long so the hdd is in its way. I had to put my hdd
in the floppy bay (just above the DVD drive), but I don't like to have
both hot drives one upon the other.

I cannot put the dvb-s in the lower pci slot either because the cpu fan is
in its way. I think of buying the hauppauge nova as the second (recording)
card and hope that it is a bit shorter and fits into the lower pci slot.

BTW does anyone know the length of the nova card? (the picture on
www.hauppauge.de lets me suggest it is just as long as the pci slot, but
as always, the picture may deviate from the truth)

c ya
        Sergei

         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de