[linux-dvb] /dev/ost/vdr0 | ts2ps -> broken data

Eduard Bloch writes:
 > Moin mocm!
 > mocm@metzlerbros.de schrieb am Tuesday, den 19. March 2002:
 >
 > >  > can anyone read /dev/ost/vdr0 with recent DVB driver versions? If I try
 > >  > to "cat /dev/ost/vdr0" as described in the Nova mini-howtos, I just get
 > >  > no data. No error message, just nothing happens.
 > >  >
 > > You mean /dev/ost/dvr0, right?
 >
 > Err, of course.
 >
 > > Did you set the demuxes?
 >
 > Uhm, what? Another user gave me a hint with "ntuxzap -e" which made
 > /dev/ost/dvr0 output some data ;) This could be documented on a good
 > place.

Yes, ntuxzap sets the demuxes for dvr output (see ntuxzap -h). How to
set the demuxes is documented in the API documents.

 > But there is the next problem: if I try to make the TS stream useable,
 > it fails.
 >
 > cat /dev/ost/dvr0 | ts2ps 0 0 > bla.mpg

It is better to set the PIDs. If you use "0 0" ts2ps tries to find
them, but that may not work every time.

 > This behaves different, each time when I start it. Either there is
 >
 > a) just no data, or
 > b) the headers seems to be okay (mplayer detects picture- and sound
 >    formats), but the picture is black and sound is absolute silence or
 > c) the data is binary trash. It is detected as in b), but it's only
 >    noise and crapy picture.

Are you sure you have good reception?
Have a look at www.linuxstb.org. There are quite a number of useful
tools. Especially for cards without MPEG decoder.

Marcus