[linux-dvb] Re: ATSC?

Daniel Schmelzer writes:
 > Hi Holger--
 >
 > Upon rereading my note re #2, it could have been taken to mean that y'all
 > are inflexible and wouldn't accept code for another PCI bridge.  Just to be
 > clear, I don't mean that.
 >
 > Probably a good way to get to full support for ATSC would be to fully
 > support the Pinnacle PCTV Sat.  While it is a DVB card, it is based on
 > Conexant's DStream reference design with a Fusion 878A chip acting as the
 > bridge.  The transport stream is sent over the I2S channel.  The WinTV-D can
 > also use the Fusion 878A in the same manner.
 >
 > I note that a couple of weeks ago somebody suggested that they were working
 > on a Pinnacle PCTV Sat driver for Linux.  I don't know whether that is
 > destined to be included in the Linux-DVB code or whether any progress has
 > been made.

Yes, it will be in there, that is part of the reason why we are
changing the drivers directory structure (NEWSTRUCT
branch). Everything will be more modular so that you can stick the
various components together, i.e. frontend, demuxer (soft or
hardware), PCI bridge, MPEG decoder etc., as needed.

We will also include the MPEG decoder cards in that structure. We
already have the margi DVD-to-go in there and I started with a wrapper
for the dxr3 driver, which I did not get far with, but maybe I will
check it in anyway.

So ATSC may fit in quite well. It is yet another frontend type (we
already have QPSK, QAM, OFDM) and the rest will also fit in.
The only trouble is that we Europeans probably won't be able to do it
by ourselves, so people in the USA will have to work on that stuff.

Marcus