[linux-dvb] Re: DiSEqC 2.x

Andreas Oberritter wrote:

>>>Also, the DiSEqC 2.x circuit does not need to be integrated in the
>>>frontend, but can be supplied as external hardware. For now it is not
>>>possible to use such external hardware, e.g. on a serial port, using the
>>>DVB API.
>>
>>How you would map this into the API?
>

> I agree with what Marcus already wrote. It is probably better not to
> merge SEC and tuning into one device *or* at least to provide the
> possibility to use an external device which has no tuning support.
>

>>Could you tell me something more about these devices?
>

> This piece of hardware could for example be used via parallel port:
> http://www.broadcom.com/pbs/BCM94500.pdf

This is an evaluation system for a complete frontend. You would write a
frontend driver for the whole card. This device won't probably ever be
used in your living room.

> I don't know whether there are read-to-buy solutions for serial ports
> but a friend has built such a device for personal use. You can ask him
> for further information if you are interested (hunz@hunz.org).

Just for your interest: hunz and friends (the dbox2 people) made this
step already some months ago -- their frontend drivers include the
sec-stuff. The sec-device is still there, but only for compatibility. I
don't want to bloat the code for compatibility reasons so I highly
recommend to drop this support. Experimental devices can still get
realized by experimental drivers.

Remember, the DVB API will usually be used un STB's -- there are still
many vendors which believe that 4 or 8 MB RAM are enough for a this- or
next-generation STB. You don't want any bloatware on these devices.

- Holger