[linux-dvb] Re: DiSEqC 2.x

> > As far as I understood, DiSEqC commands do not have a fixed length but
> > vary from 3 to 6 bytes in length and might even be longer for custom
> > commands or custom devices.
>
> Yes, but the length is limited to 6 bytes. If we pass 6 bytes and a length
> specifier in the ioctl we never can get out of sync...

> > Also, the DiSEqC 2.x circuit does not need to be integrated in the
> > frontend, but can be supplied as external hardware. For now it is not
> > possible to use such external hardware, e.g. on a serial port, using the
> > DVB API.
>
> How you would map this into the API?

I agree with what Marcus already wrote. It is probably better not to
merge SEC and tuning into one device *or* at least to provide the
possibility to use an external device which has no tuning support.

> Could you tell me something more about these devices?

This piece of hardware could for example be used via parallel port:
http://www.broadcom.com/pbs/BCM94500.pdf

I don't know whether there are read-to-buy solutions for serial ports
but a friend has built such a device for personal use. You can ask him
for further information if you are interested (hunz@hunz.org).

Regards,
obi