[linux-dvb] Re: off-topic: streaming dvb over LAN

At 11.51 19/04/2002, you wrote:
>hi list,
>
>maybe this is the wrong list, maybe this is off-topic, maybe this isn't
>interresting at all, or maybe this is already implemented somewhere else.
>- if that's the case i would really apprechiate to get a hint :)
>
>ok, here we go:
>
>anyone working on a stremaing server for MPEG (TS/PES) using RTP/RTSP?
>(ok, i know videolan could do similar things, but not quite what i'd
>like)
>
>just imagine splitting up VDR in frontend and backend (probably it is
>already split - i haven't kept upt with development), where the
>backend acts as a DVR/PVR/whatever, and also puts the EPG/metadata
>in a database.
>
>the frontend will be a linux PC/appliance running directfb or X or
>both, decoding the stream, and displaying the metadata from the
>backend database.
>
>this will provide advantages everywhere: split backend from the display
>itself, and enabling integration of serveral different sources, without
>the need to rewrite the presentation (also it provides a standard interface,
>customized to the users needs for any datasource)

I'm working on a modified version of dvbstream: it includes in the server
part the TS to PES from Klaus Schmidinger (VDR author) and a smart PES/RTP
encapsulator and the client try to mask the errors that may occour on an
Extended Lan, for instance the frame dropping, by  repeating the last
correctly received frame and by the estimation of the PTS. If you need some
help in developing your application, let me know.

Giancarlo Baracchino