[linux-dvb] Re: Multiple channels on same frequency

Am Mon, 2002-08-12 um 09.40 schrieb Peter Maersk-Moller:
> Hi Marcus
>
> mocm@metzlerbros.de wrote:
> > Peter Maersk-Moller writes:
> >  > And here I thought I got the most when I bought the full featured
> >  > Nexus card :( In my case I will rarely use the MPEG-2 decoder to
> >  > Video out, but thought I give it a try anyway.
> >  > What is the problem/limitation with the NEXUS card ? Can I only
> >  > read one PID (video) as MPEG-2 or can I read 3 (audio/video/teletext)
> >  > or can I (as suggested) read 8 PIDs and can they be freely selected
> >  > among a/v/t and other types ?
> > You will probably be able to get at least two audio and video PIDs, I
> > haven't tested the limits, but there are probably others on the list
> > that have. For section filters there is the upper limit of hardware
> > filters that the card provides (32, not always all available because
> > of internal use).
>
> The filter limit, is that for the Nova (budget) or Nexus (Premium) or both ?

Only for the premium-cards. The budgets simply provide the complete TS,
which means you have to handle demuxing streams completely in software.
This needs more CPU-power, but it has two advantages:

1.) You can get all streams in the TS at the same time.
2.) No ARM, no firmware -> no crashes :o)

> And is the number 32 the number of PIDs to pass through or to filter out ?
>
> >  > Hmm, should have bought the NOVA card. Hope they don't stop
> >  > producing it. Are there any versions of the NOVA card to look out
> >  > for, or will any NOVA card version do ?
> > I don't think they will stop producing it. Since they are much cheaper
> > to produce and wit a software decoder and a fast cpu you still can
> > have the full DVB experience. The Nova cards will probably only differ
> > in the frontend that is used. Unless you get a Nova CI , which has
> > some extra hardware for CAMs. They work as normal cards, but
> > descrambling doesn't work (No info from TT on how they work).
>
> What is a Nova CI ? The Nova card doesn't seem to have the connector for
> connecting a CI (or maybe I looked at a different version). I've seen
> Kiss PCI receiver with built-in CI as well as with built-in CAM. The
> latter existed in different versions for each encryption system.

There are two versions of the NOVA. The first was the simple NOVA,
then they produced another with an CI-interface, but isn't supported
by the linux-driver. You can get both cards relatively cheap from SATELCO.
They only have a additional MAC which forces you to install complete
EOL-stuff - but only with WINDOZE!