[linux-dvb] Re: Global channels config in libdvb

	Hi,

	Thanks for your answer,

On Monday 19 August 2002 14:00, mocm@metzlerbros.de wrote:
> Benjamin Forgeau writes:
>  >
>  > 	Hi you all,
>  >
>  > 	Merely a remark.
>  >
>  > 	I was reading the linux dvb api and was wondering why there is no
>  > simple function to configure a channel from a list of known
channels.
>  > When I see how different are cable and sat configurations, I feel
that
>  > some function should hide it for the application.
>
> That does not belong into the kernel.

	sure

>  >
>  > 	It would make sense to have an /etc/dvb/channels.conf, and/or
>  > transponders.conf, where we could globally write a list of the
>  > available channels (data/video/audio). Every dvb-application needs
it,
>  > and it does not change this often. Maybe kind of moving the code
from
>  > linvdr into libdvb?
>  >

> Are you talking about the kernel API, or the libdvb library that comes
> with the drivers?

	libdvb. I had a second look, in DVB/libdvb we have a class DVB
(undocumented as far as I know). It is more or less what I mean, the
code does exist! It's just a matter of chosing how global the channels
are set, and how many pages of standards and API documentation you have
to read before you can start with the development of a small
application.

	Anyway, the goal is only that an unexperienced programmer can write
something like:

#include "dvb.h"

void main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  dvb_init(0, 0, 0, "/etc/dvb/channels.conf"); // sets first card, etc
  dvb_set_source_video_channel(atoi(argv[1]));
  printf("%s\n", dvb_get_current_channel_name());
  dvb_start_play();
}

#~> gcc dvbzap.c -o dvbzap -ldvb

 	I see two goals for it. First you don't need to rewrite tuning conde
for every application. Second, how can I write and verify code that
uses a sat card if I only have cable? As cable-only user (it would be
very long, expensive and complicated to get satellite in my house), I
have no big idea what is the sec device, and I don't want to change my
application as soon as a new device arrive, for which my configuration
file is not be sufficient...

	It is not a big deal, just creating simple functions that hide the
internals of tuning.

	I hope I'm not too much off topic!

		regards

		ben