[linux-dvb] Re: Global channels config in libdvb

The Dish Network channels move around so much that I am considering
writing a watcher thread to vdr that dynamically builds the channels from
the SDT.

but I would like to select channels by service ID rather than line number
in channels.conf but I didn't get any responses when I asked them about
that on the vdr list.

Further more, I don't understand why we need to have the channels.conf
have all the apids and vpids of the channels when the PMT will tell us
this info.  You could either tune to all transponders you know about upon
start-up or dynamically build it as you surf through the channels.

In adition, if you have multiple provider id's, a table could be
maintained to introduce an offset for them, like one provider's 323 could
be 323, while another provider's 323 could be 10323.  The spec suggests
service id is a unique identifier within a provider scope, so we should
use it.

It would be a bit of work, but I think it would be doable.  Preserving the
concept of the existing channels.conf should be allowed since not all
providers may behave like Dish Networks in the US.

Suggestions are welcome.

_J