[linux-dvb] Having more than one source tree is ok (Re: More thoughts on coldbootdriver crash)

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 JosceJ@netscape.net wrote:
> I am just curious, are there now two different driver
> development projects going on? If so, why?

  I think it is a good thing to have all and every possible different
source trees for these drivers available.  It is hard enough to get things
working in ones own tree, and this is the work we need Convergence and
Metzler bros continue doing.  Other people cannot fix firmware or drivers
for strange chipsets.  Being able to modify the whole architecture of
things within ones source tree without having to sync up all other
developers guarantees that developement is fast and efficient.

  In addition to these two complete source trees, there are patches by
random people like me which are not ready for inclusion as such to any
tree.

  This brings up the need for another set of people:  integrators that
take the work from these people, analyze it and feed patches to all source
trees to keep them updated with all bug fixes.  We need Convergence people
and Metzler bros to be free of this boring work.  We need to help them in
it, that's the price of free software..

  This is approximately what Linux developement has evolved to, in
different scale though.

Thanks for everyone for their efforts,
Jaakko

--