[linux-dvb] Re: Full featured DVB-T card update

--On den 3 augusti 2003 22:04 +0000 Juergen Peitz <peitz@snafu.de> wrote:

Hi,
maybe I found a solution for the lock-up problem. Because of the last
very hot   days here in Berlin my card also started to show this
lock-up's more often.  So it really seems to be heat depending.

I installed a fan close to it and I already got less lock-up's. Then I
found  out that some channels became disturbed by the fan. So it's also
important  that the card is not disturbed by other electric devices.
This sounds like one of the problems I had - with a fan that was
fed from a 12V connector on the main board. When moved away to a
hard drive connector of its own things suddenly started to work
much better. I also tried with an extra pci card which I soldered
capacitors to the 12V on - this seemed to help until I bought a
new power supply.

This is why I keep saying that people may find problems by checking
that their 12V is clean, stable and high (in my case not less than
11,9 V), and I guess both the power supply as well as the main board
design is if high relevance here.

I have attached a heat sink onto my SP8870. When I think about it,
that was probably one of those things that made things work better
in my case too. I have done to much with this setup - I don't know
what change did what improvement anymore.

Next I did some more debugging on the driver. I couldn't find a way to
avoid  the hangups of the sp8870 firmware, but probably found a solution
to let the  driver detect it and recover from it (see Patch).
With this patch my card now seems to run absolutly stable even without a
fan.  (though it's probably better for the card to install one).
Thanks a lot! I can't try it right now, but will in a few days.

But wouldn't just a tune to a frequency without a signal be
interpreted as a lockup in this code? Maybe the dprintks
should be altered to say something more like

dprintk("%s: firmware lockup (or no signal on frequency)!\n", __FUNCTION__);

just to avoid confusion. When I started to try to get my system to
work I had so many problems and variables that it was really hard
to understand what was happening and why (and to make things even
worse, as soon as I almost got it recieving something the frequency
bending started to retune which of course made the signal disappear :-)
When I found out that this was happening, I disabled the bending).

/ragge