[linux-dvb] Re: Small patch to disable zigzagging

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:56:01AM +0200, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Carlo E. Prelz wrote:
> >A few weeks ago I had taken the time to write a small mod to the dvb
> >drivers that allows me to enable or disable zigzagging with a ioctl
> >call. I need it because I like to move my parabola to point to
> >different satellites, and the signal strength indication is
> >frustratingly useless as a help for correct alignment if tuning is
> >happily jumpimg up and down.
> >
> >I added two IOCTL's, called FE_ZIGZAG and FE_DONT_ZIGZAG. The patch is
> >very simple, and works fine here. I have made sure that, if these
> >ioctls are not used, there is no change in behaviour.
> >
> >I have now generated a patch file from plain linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0, that I
> >am including in this message. Is there some possibility to have this
> >applied to the main tree?
>
> no, an ioctl like this is nice for debugging purposes, but in general
> the user space application is not responsible to maintain the hardware.
> If a particular frontend don't needs zigzagging just set the
> FE_CAN_RECOVER bit in the driver.

Hmm ... If the user want to adjust his dish a none zigzagging mode
would be perfect.  I agree that in the normal usage case e.g. VDR
does not need this ioctl.  Nevertheless, a simple command line
tool to disable zigzagging mode is required to adjust the strenght
of hotizontal/vertical input with adjusting the dish.

      Werner