[linux-dvb] Re: Solved, patch attached: DVB-C tuning problemscaused by inittab changes in ves1820.c since 2003-05-24

Hi,

--On Monday, August 18, 2003 05:18:45 AM +0200 Petric Frank <pfrank@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Monday 18 August 2003 00:39, Holger Waechtler wrote:
>> Peter Bieringer wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > thanks to Holger and Robert.
>> >
>> > Attached a patch which enhances the ves1820.c driver for per card
>> > configuration capability via module options of PWM, CARCONF and CLKCONF
>> > to track down tuning problems and solve them.
>> >
>> > The patch also unifies the logging messages and show card number also
>> > on each log line.
>> >
>> > Hope this can help others too,
>>
>> As mentioned in my other mail I think it's much better to provide a
>> simple tool to fix and reprogram broken EEPROMs than to add that much
>> overhead to support broken cards to the driver...
>
> I think it would be better to have also the ability to give these values
> to  the driver additionally. This would ease to evaluate the correct
> value for  the eeprom.
> An other way is to establish an ioctl call or /proc/xxx entry which allow
> to  change these values on the fly. Together with a little tool to tune
> them via  this ioctl would allow to evaluate the correct value easily.

I split up my patches and attached them (and add 2 new ones).

Log unifying:
av7110-logunified.c.diff
ttpci_eeprom-logunified.c.diff
ves1820-cvs20030816-to-logunified.c.diff

Add more often prefix "DVB: " to log lines, like already seen sometimes in
current driver version.

Mho: good chance for commit to current version

Add pwm option to module:
ves1820-logunified-to-pwmoption.c.diff
(note: CLKCONF and CARCONF support are removed because they are no longer
needed)

Mho: not so big chance for commit to current version, Holger don't like
module option, but perhaps more users can convince him to accept it ;-)

Limit AFC logging to a limit of lines per card and per 'init chip'
ves1820-pwmoption-AFCloglimit.c.diff

Mho: not very sure that this patch would be commited to current version,
perhaps, if some users vote for it ;-)

Will result in following (if "afcloglimit=3"):
kernel: DVB: VES1820: module loaded
kernel: DVB: VES1820: AFC log limit: 3 events until next 'init chip'
kernel: DVB: VES1820(0): init chip
kernel: DVB: VES1820(1): init chip
kernel: DVB: VES1820(0): AFC (-1) 6739Hz
kernel: DVB: VES1820(1): AFC (1) -6738Hz
kernel: DVB: VES1820(1): AFC (-2) 13477Hz
kernel: DVB: VES1820(1): AFC (-2) 13477Hz
kernel: DVB: VES1820(1): AFC log limit reached for this card until next
'init chip'

Hope this helps,

        Peter
--
Dr. Peter Bieringer                     http://www.bieringer.de/pb/
GPG/PGP Key 0x958F422D               mailto: pb at bieringer dot de