[linux-dvb] Re: Solved, patch attached: DVB-C tuning problemscaused by inittab changes in ves1820.c since 2003-05-24

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
Holger Waechtler wrote:

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

I would apply this, because I think it's useful, and I don't know if the
EEPROM is writable at all (could be write-protected), and if it is
writable you could shoot yourself in the foot by writing crap to it.
Also there's no utility for writing the EPPROM.
(Probably because it's too trivial for a seperate utility?;)

Just take a look in the 24lc16 datasheet, writing to an EEPROM is as simple as reading.

Write protection can be disabled by simply scratching or cutting the WP line. But is it's true that Siemens provides a calibration utility I doubt that there is any write protection so there is probably no need to scratch on your card...

About broken EEPROMs: The cards will just show up with bogus vendor/device ids, nothing really serious. You just need to add this id the the PCI vendor/device id tables in the saa7146 driver and then you can write the EEPROM again. Nothing to worry about if it's well documented.

I don't like this. IMHO the VES1820 driver should
always printk the PWM value from EEPROM during initialization.
AFC can be printed with Jaakko's utility. We just need a pointer
to it and a "howto fix dvb-c tuning problems" doc.
Both a HOWTO-use-the-Siemens-calibration-utility or an alternative solution for Linux using e.g. a pseudo-frontend-driver should perfectly help everybody who has the same problems like you, not?

I have no doubts it can be done somehow.

But as long as this utility does not exist it would be better to
have the PWM module paramter than nothing.
I just doubt that the utility will get written if every newbie with this problems finds a 'load ves1820.o with parameter pwm=123' in the mailing lists. Usually a poor solution of the problem makes people lazy even if they were willing to contribute to doing it 'the right way(tm)' before.

just an opinion, maybe I'm perfectly wrong about the average linuxdvb-user's mind --

Holger