[linux-dvb] Re: Solved, patch attached: DVB-C tuning problemscaused by inittab changes in ves1820.c since 2003-05-24

Oliver Lorei wrote:
On Tuesday 19 August 2003 13:58, Holger Waechtler wrote:

sorry for my ignorance,

but when you install the Orignal Software from Siemens for W9x the
first time on a clean W9x installation then it does once a receiver
calibration before the Software start the first time (at least a popup
window shows it)

I don't know what happens there and perhaps i totaly wrong
I was thinking about a tool just like this, shouldn't really be too hard
to implement. But if you say that the Windows software does it anyway
you maybe just have to boot Windows to fix your EEPROM...
^^^^^
no it's very hard do this with windows, I get it only on a clean fresh Windows installation, and only once when you start the Software for the first Time, a Simple deinstall (Software + Driver ) and then install the Software again does not work for me .... IMHO no solution

and since a long time ago there was no more Space left for Windows on my HD a larger /video is more useful ;)

so a Linux tool would realy Great
:) (then just write one, it's really simple and straightforward -- all you need to do is to hack a special version of the ves1820 driver which expects a write_pwm module parameter and then writes it to the EEPROM somewhere inside the init function. Thenafter write a simple HOWTO and post all this to the LinuxDVB mailing list. If it's well done we'll add it to the CVS repository in the tools section;)

Performing byte writes is described in section 4.1 on page 7 in the 24lc16 datasheet, you can get a copy e.g. from the Microchip website: http://www.microchip.com/download/lit/pline/memory/ic/21703c.pdf

If you want to dump+save the EEPROM contents before you do anything else you can code a loop which reads all bytes from 0...0xff and dumps them on the console. Take ves1820.c:read_pwm() as example how to read a byte.

On Budget-PCI cards only the first very few bytes which are non-0xff are relevant and need to be saved -- these ones contain the PCI vendor/device id and the MAC. The PWM is stored in the last byte.

have fun,

Holger