[linux-dvb] Re: VP-1030

	Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: VP-1030
	Date: gio, ago 21, 2003 at 04:56:36 +0200

Quoting Norberto García Prieto (ngarcia@uvigo.es):

> > These twinhan cards (I have a VP-1020) employ a frontend chip that has
> > been developed by twinhan themselves, and these people refuse to
> > publish programming specs for it. The card is not so popular to
> > justify a reverse-engineering effort from the Linux community.
>
> 	The frontend is an basically an STV0299/TSA5059/SL1925. They
> have some information for it. The stv0299 driver supports this
> frontend. These cards may become very popular, cause Hercules and
> new Pinnacle's are made by Twinhan. They are also very cheap.

Does it mean that if you load the stv0299 module your card is
recognized? This would mean that you are able to tune, get signal
strength/SNR data, and eventually extract DVB streams. I had
understood this would not be the case. (could try myself but I am
exceedingly busy with work as of now...)

> 	The problem i've now is that i can't start playing with them
> if bttv hangs the system.

I have witnessed the same crash when insmodding the default bt878
module. Having understood that the custom chip (labebed DTV20023 on my
card) had little or no hope of being supported, I dedicated my time to
other topics...

> > If you look at the archives of the mailing list, you will read about
> > recent efforts at contacting these people, without satisfactory
> > result: it seems they are in the process of developing a closed-source
> > driver, but they still haven't published anything.
>

> 	I've contacted them and they send me a
> driver/application. Problem is that they are for a very old version
> of RedHat, and they are nor linux-dvb compatible.

I had tried to contact them on 22 March, and had received no echo. The
2-year-old file that can be downloaded on their site is useless.

Carlo

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe