[linux-dvb] Re: [BUG] linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0 unstable with Nova-t

>   Call Trace: [free_uid+44/64] [release_task+41/336]
> [sys_wait4+775/912] [system_call+51/56]

> Cool, I thought I was the only one who gets this. I spent considerable
> time trying to hunt it down, but didn't find anything :-(

> Anyway, I "solved" it by *disabling* CONFIG_SLAB_DEBUG. Maybe it's
> caused by gcc-3.3 bugs...

I haven't CONFIG_SLAB_DEBUG activated and I'm using gcc-2.95.4 from
Debian Woody.  Maybe the mechanism causing the bug is somewhat
"nondeterministic" and you are just lucky to not be affected by the bug
now.  It must be nondeterministic, else more people would have similar
problems...

>> Well, I understand nothing of the Linux kernel, but isn't that some
>> kind of memory corruption problem?  Maybe I should recompile Linux
>> with memory debugging enabled...

> I suspect you already have, else you wouldn't get this Oops. There
> should be a line just before the Oops which prints the reason for the
> Oops.

I haven't.

grep DEBUG /usr/src/linux/.config:

CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_JBD_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y

I activated CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE only some days ago, and the kernel
that I'm running doesn't use it yet.  So it's only CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL
which might have an effect on the problem.

What should I do now?  Running an unstable Linux system is very
annoying.  I don't even know what a slab is and it would certainly take
too much time to get familiar with the Linux internals required to trace
such a bug down.

Anybody willing to put some paranoid checks and assertions into the
relevant sources which I could try to run?  Any functionality I could
try to disable, to narrow the possible causes?

David