[linux-dvb] Re: Nebula USB

Timo Laitinen wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:10:52 +0200
Holger Waechtler <holger@convergence.de> wrote:

Timo Laitinen wrote:

to do it :-). Any plans, anyone?
No, I don't know of any plans. Feel free to start this work, it would
be great if the Nebula folks would support this work. (IIRC they also donated the PCI card so that Florian was able to write the driver;)
Well that would be nice :-). I'm not sure if I'm able to do it,
though... I've done some kernel coding back 1997 (custom hardware), but
nothing since (on the kernel, that is). But I would be tempted to try...
Can you estimate how much work it would mean? I probably could learn
something from the existing drivers, I guess...
The basic principles are the same, just take a look into the source of one of the existing USB DVB drivers to get an idea of the amount of code you need to write.

Basically you need a device and the protocol spec for this device to start. Or you have to analyze the Windows driver.
Windows stuff is out of  bounds, that's why I need the linux driver :-)
(unless I get the driver other way). But I can ask the Nebula people
what they can provide (well, I haven't yet asked them anything today...)
Have you asked them if they would be willing to give you a box and the required documentation/sample source code so that you are able to write the driver?

Holger