[linux-dvb] Re: Nebula USB

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:37:13 +0200
Holger Waechtler <holger@convergence.de> wrote:

> Timo Laitinen wrote:
>
> > Can you estimate how much work it would mean? I probably could learn
> > something from the existing drivers, I guess...
>
> The basic principles are the same, just take a look into the source of
> one of the existing USB DVB drivers to get an idea of the amount of
> code you need to write.

> Have you asked them if they would be willing to give you a box and the
> required documentation/sample source code so that you are able to
> write the driver?

So far I just gave them a hint that I'm considering it and that I would
need the device and docs to do the job. Basically I just wanted to
browse through the existing driver codes a bit before deciding...

I got a reply which seemed encouraging. They didn't mention the
box (yet), but told me they would help me as much as they can... They
gave some pointers on what should be checked first, on the USB 2.0 bulk
transfer front. As far as I can see, there should be no problems, and
I could pretty much use the dvb-ttusb-budget.c driver as the basis for
this driver.

So far, I have gone through the dvb-ttusb-budget.c driver, and it seems
clear enough. A few black boxes for now, of course, but I can pretty
much see the flow of the driver. Is there anything else I should touch?

Anyway, I believe (at least before trying...) that I should be able to
do it. So, I'll write them a more thorough reply next, answering their
questions on USB2.0 and what I would need.

Well, firstly a USB 2.0 pci card, but I guess I'll get that one
myself...

It should at least be an interesting project :-)

Timo