[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

Oliver Endriss writes:
 > > These are two different things. Remember that some receivers only come with
 > > a smart card slot, i.e. they have a "builtin CAM". In those, the firmware
 > > implements the algorithm which generates the key pairs (64 bits = 8 bytes),
 > > with which the MPEG-2 transport stream is decrypted using CSA. The firmware
 > > could then write this key pair to the corresponding AV7110 registers and
 > > have it decrypt the transport stream _without_ any CAM!
 >
 > I see. That's why they called the av7110 'Integrated Set-top Box Decoder'.
 > It was designed for stand-alone set-top boxes...
 >
 > > But when you have a CAM, it will implement the CSA.
 >
 > Great. So there are no license/patent issues which might prevent writing
 > an open-source driver. I wonder why nobody has done this before.
 > The hardware has been available for some time.

I thought about supporting the Nova CI a year ago, even disassembled
the CI interface routines at the time, but then thought: why bother
supporting TT if they make it so hard for Linux programmers?

KNC released the specs (no begging and/or disassembling necessary ...)
but the code we wrote is currently bound to a commercial project. It
works since almost a year (at least with the modules without hardware
problems).

Ralph