[linux-dvb] Re: Full featured card summary

On Sunday 14 March 2004 22:58, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> - turn off 22KHz
> - set voltage to 13V or 18V
> - send DiSEqC sequence
insert 'send tone-burst' here
> - if necessary turn on 22KHz

This sequence is defined in section 'Combined Transmission of DiSEqC
and Backward-Compatible Signals'. If you add the required delays it
will work with voltage/22kHz/Tone-Burst (Mini-DiSEqC) and full-DiSEqC
devices.

If you have a DiSEqC switch, you don't have to use any old-style
commands. Just turn-on LNB power and control everything else using
DiSEqC. A DiSEqC switch will ignore old-style commands after it has
recognized the first full-DiSEqC command.

> It doesn't make much sense to remove the power from the LNB
> while sending the DiSEqC sequence, but luckily vdr doesn't
> seem to do that ;-)  So, I guess that 'v' is a no-op.

'v' does not turn off power. It selects 13V.

> There are some mandatory delays before and after sending
> the DiSEqC sequence. The Nokia API rolled all that in a simple
> and convenient ioctl which would allow the driver to do
> all the timing...

This 'simple and convenient ioctl' will probably not work for complex
setups with cascaded switches, motorized dishes etc. You must be able
to adjust delays and commands. The current solution is very flexible.

Oliver