[linux-dvb] 2.6.4, monolithic kernel and firmware

I've been bulding dvb support into the kernel rather than using modules. I started do si in the past when I was trying to get things working as I found it easier.

However, with 2.6.4 I have been getting an error message:

Mar 15 17:09:25 localhost kernel: tda1004x_fwupload: Unable to open firmware /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/tda1004x.bin

The firmware is there.

Using modules and loading them after boot worked fine.

I'm running gentoo and I tend to track the latest kernel, normally using either vanilla or mm sources (havent tried 2.6.4-mm1 or 2.6.4-mm2 yet).

I can use modules, no problem. But is that now necessary? Or is it something else with my config which may cause the problem?