[linux-dvb] Re: Weird DVB-S problem on one site

On Monday 15 March 2004 00:00, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> On Sunday 14 March 2004 20:55, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Hmm, I'm having a very odd DVB-S problem on one client site only. The
> > cards are TT DVB-S budget SU1278-TUA5059 cards. I've tested the drivers
> > before I messed with them, but they exhibit the same problems. I've also
> > tested multiple cards, with the same problems.
> >
> > The system has one dish pointed at Astra 2 with a Quattro LNB. That is
> > attached to a multiswitch, and the cards are then attached to that. The
> > multiswitch is using non-DISEQC switching (i.e. tone/voltage based).
> > All transponders below 11700000 are perfect.
> >
> > Transponders above 11700000 have issues as follows:
>
> 11.7 GHz is the border line between low and high band.
> A Quattro LNB has 4 dedicated outputs: Low/H, Low/V, High/H, High/V.
>
> As there is no problem with low band, you might want to check the
> hardware: High-band cables/connectors from LNB to switch, the LNB,
> and the switch itself.
>
> But first I would take the PC with the cards to another site and see
> whether the problem persists.

If you're interested, this turned out to be because the "professional" aerial
installers had connected the inputs from the Quattro LNB to the multiswitch
wrongly. They failed to notice this even with expensive (3000GBP test
equipment). In fact, I think they've done it with both multiswitches on that
site.

Gah, last time we had something like this, the installers had pointed one of
the dishes was pointing at the wrong satellite, yet still claimed the
installation was fine because the one channel they'd bothered to test with
was present on both sats. :(