[linux-dvb] Re: newbie questions

Le dim 14/03/2004 à 22:46, Adrian P Challinor a écrit :

> What do you mean by "free to view scrambled" channels? Isn't it either free
> to view (and thus in clear, not scrambled or encrypted) or requires some
> payment (in which case the signal is scrambled and you need a card to
> decrypt it).

Free to air is unscramble free TV - BBC for example. Free to view is
scrambled free TV. ITV1 and Channel 4 are in the latter category on
Astra 28.2 E

> If it's the latter, you need a DVB card that has a CAB interface.

I have found a soft CAB and seen USB card readers. How do I fit them
into the playing sequence, as a xine plugin?

> The kids like my "experimental" setup so much they prefer to watch in the
> office on the 17" panel rather than the 42" plasma screen we have in the
> lounge - with much whining about when I will use my box to replace
> everything they have in the lounge!

I'm not up with the Challinors then... We watch on 15" panel which may
be replaced with 17" Samsung Wide screen panel "one day soon".

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit