[linux-dvb] Re: newbie questions

Tony,

What do you mean by "free to view scrambled" channels? Isn't it either free
to view (and thus in clear, not scrambled or encrypted) or requires some
payment (in which case the signal is scrambled and you need a card to
decrypt it).

If it's the latter, you need a DVB card that has a CAB interface.

I am running 2.6 (Mandrake 10-RC1) with a DVB-T budget card and a DVB-S
premium card. I don't actually have a sat dish at present (minor problem
requiring local government permission for my area) so I have freeview DVB-t
displayed on the output from the DVB-S card. It works remarkably well. I
record on to disk just fine. ASAIAK this is the way to go.

The kids like my "experimental" setup so much they prefer to watch in the
office on the 17" panel rather than the 42" plasma screen we have in the
lounge - with much whining about when I will use my box to replace
everything they have in the lounge!

Adrian