[linux-dvb] Re: Fwd: Re: DEBI irq oops, crashes: kernel 2.6 &Hyperthreading unusable with DVB

Hello Udo,

On 07.05.2004 16:56, Udo Wolter wrote:
There might be a race condition somewhere wrt SMP -- as Johannes already
pointed out, he'll have a look at it.

Are there any kernel changes which could make my situation better ? The
preemptive kernel parameter or the MSI vector based IRQs ? Or even
vice versa, is it better to switch something off ? Or any other
kernel parameter ?
Not really. Call it a race condition or something else -- it's a logical programming error that needs to be fixed when it comes to SMP or hyperthreading.

The two-staged notification and transfer mechanism of the av7110 makes it a little difficult to handle, because both CPUs can execute the tasklets scheduled by the irq handlers independently.

I'd stand a lot if it just costs only 5% performance
but I want to stay in hyperthreading. Switching off hyperthreading costs
30-40% performance. :(
In the meantime, you need to turn off hyperthreading and kernel preemption unless Johannes, me or someone else has fixed this problem thorougly.

Mermgfurt,
		Udo
CU
Michael.