[linux-dvb] Re: Problems with WinTV NOVA-CI

On Monday 13 Dec 2004 14:02, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> On Monday 13 December 2004 14:54, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Werner said he'd compared the saa7146 PCI memory between working and
> > non-working and there wasn't really an obvious difference. On the Nova-S
> > cards there isn't really anything else you can control besides the demod
> > and PLL - and someone said that tuning works OK....
>
> Yes, tuning seems to work.
>
> > This sounds _extremely_ like the issue many people who use VDR with an FF
> > and a budget card have - after a bit the budget card just stops
> > delivering data, but it can still tune OK. (the FF card works fine
> > though). A reboot (although not to windows) is required to fix it.
>
> I assume that one cannot reset the DVB card without rebooting the computer?

There was an ancient CVS version which did reset the saa7146, but the comment
when it was removed was that it sometimes locked up the computer when you did
it. Might be something to play about with though...

> > /proc/interrupts showed that when this issue with FF+budget occurs, the
> > budget simply doesn't generate interrupts any more.
>
> Yesterday I also got lost interrupts every now and then (two times in 3
> hours), and VDR stopped working. A kernel message said it disabled the
> interrupt. Sorry, I cannot remember the exact wordings, and I am not at home
> to search in the logs.

Oh - thats a different kind of thing from the VDR thing. With that, the IRQs
just vanish without any messages whatsoever.

> > Lots of different things have been tried with the FF issue - none of them
> > have worked so far.
> >
> > I'm beginning to think that we're using the saa7146 in some way that makes
> > it fall over occasionally.
>
> Hmm... might be possible.
> I still favor the timing problem theory...

Could be either really.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index