[linux-dvb] Re: Frontend IP based

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 12:47 +0100, Wolfgang Wegner wrote:

> At grundig we used RTP with 27MHz timestamps (lower bits of PCR) and

Ok, I can see the value of a 27MHz transmit timestamp, so that the
receiver can remove the transit delay variance. Although that's probably
not of much value if you feed the stream to mplayer 8-)

> a header extension to transmit the previous (n-1) packet´s delay (for
> routing purpose). Later this was extended to (n-16) for better
> throughput.

Why do you need the mean transit delay?

That's the curse of RTP, all the interesting things are in the "profile"
aka proprietary extension, at which point RTP is pretty pointless.

Tom

Home | Main Index | Thread Index