[linux-dvb] Re: Frontend-specific ioctl's

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Patrick Boettcher wrote:
What would be the best way to implement a frontend-specific ioctl (or
another access possibility) for accessing special and specific demod-data
from user level? Maybe a dedicated /dev-node?
What would that ioctl do?
Get some more values from the demod, which are currently not used, because linux dvb does not need it.

You could add an ioctl func ptr to struct dvb_frontend_ops, and
call it (when !NULL) from dvb_frontend_ioctl().
I don't want to change the dvb-api, because I want to include the interface in the mainstream-driver. That's what I would do when I would add another ioctl call to dvb_frontend_ops, wouldn't it?

If you need it only for debugging frontends connected via i2c
you could maybe just use i2c-dev. "cat /sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-?/name"
will tell you which is the right adapter.
Will have a look at it, maybe it is what I need.

Thanks,
Patrick.

--
  Mail: patrick.boettcher@desy.de