[mpeg2] Re: One line disturbance in picture

Op Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:12:22 +0200 schreef Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> het volgende :

> Just one more, maybe stupid, question: what's the best way to get
> and install a new kernel? So far I've always just used the kernel
> that came with the SuSE distribution and never bothered getting
> one myself. Maybe you could point me in the right direction here...

On debian, I use a tool that created .deb's from a source tree.
The tool is called 'make-kpkg' and is in the 'kernel-package'
package.

On Suse, I don't know.
You can get the kernel source, unpack it in /usr/src
and do a 'make menuconfig'.
(or a make xconfig).

After building, you should put the kernel somewhere where
either lilo or grub (which one do you use?) can find it.

Then create an extra menu item for your new kernel in
lilo.conf or grub's conf.

  Bram

> Klaus
> --
>
> Klaus Schmidinger                       Phone: +49-8635-6989-10
> CadSoft Computer GmbH                   Fax:   +49-8635-6989-40
> Hofmark 2                               Email:   kls@cadsoft.de
> D-84568 Pleiskirchen, Germany           URL:     www.cadsoft.de

Those who understand binary mathematics and those who don't.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index