[vdr] Re: looping mails

Am Mit, 2002-06-26 um 14.49 schrieb Stefaan Coddé:
> Carsten Koch wrote:
>
> >I'd hate to have a forum.
> >To me the difference between a forum and a mailing list
> >is like the difference between getting your newspaper
> >delivered to your mailbox and having to drive to the
> >shop to buy it.
>
> >I'd vote for keeping the mailing list but fixing it,
> >so it cannot post the same text twice.
>
> That's not correct.  It depends on the forum software but new posted
> messages can also be automaticly forwarded to a member IF he/she
> Selected that option upon subscribing to the forum.

I agree. I'm subscribed to four mailinglists and I get confused
following the threads (packet-writing even doesn't have a [vdr] or
[linux-dvb] in subject, so it's difficult to separate them). My
mail-accounts are bursting. I'm trying to separate them by different
mail-accounts, filters and imap, but it's a mess ...

I think a forum can be read easier, especially if you have been some
days off. And you have a browser anywhere.

Archiving also works better. Did you ever count the superfluos mails to
questions discussed some weeks ago? You go to holidays for 3 weeks,
don't find a thread you were on  in the ML-archive and ask the same
silly questions being discussed - again!

It's also easier for newbies. When I started with Linux, I nearly got
mad until I developed a system to handle the mails, archives and
threads.

> So it's up to the member to receive the messages or not.
> And : You don't have the problem of multiple mails there.

Did anyone try to set up a forum2mail/mail2forum-gateway? I mean a forum
which can embedd mails to the threads and - as said above - send mails
of the threads by wish of user?

> Another advantage of a forum is that it's fully threaded.
> So every message is placed under it's appropriate section.

Yep.

> And... if somone messed it up then it's up to the managers of the forum
> To decide to move the wrong placed messages, send the user a warning
> Or if it get's out of hand, remove the member.

Yes, as there are MICROSOFT-users who disturb the order of our nice
Linux-anarchism and voluntary self-reign ;o)

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index