[vdr] Re: Re : VDR files to vob

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> I guess what I'd first like to see is somebody who can explain
> *EXACTLY* what PES and PS is, and what the difference between these
> is. If PS is simply "PES with some additional sugar", and that "sugar"
> can be generated from the PES data (which apparently it has to be, because
> the PES data is retrieved directly from the Transport Stream), then I
> wonder why the various players are too dumb to simply extract that data
> themselves.

Comparing data after mplex conversion and using information found at
http://members.aol.com/mpucoder/DVD it is really a matter of cosmetic
changes and some additional information to detail MPEG content (GOP and
so on).

Various Players just want to play standard MPEG2 files (originally MPEG1
files) and VOB files which are in fact MPEG2 PS files.
But MPlayer is able to play PES streams and that enough as long as we
don't want to author/burn DVD-Rs.

I think a simple answer could be to integrate PES2PS conversion during
cutting process using mplex program ; we would have precise control to
extract what we want to keep and get in one pass a finalized PS Stream.
BTW, it could also answer to >2Gb file size issue ;-)

Patrick.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index