[vdr] Re: vdr2divx suggestions ? (poll)

Thanks for those many answers :-)

So here are my thoughts summarizing a little bit:

Yes, i want to use c++, because i'm just in the learning process of c++ and
this project gives me the chance to relly learn c++ - sounds funny, but as i
started vdr2divx project i had nearly no knowledge about bash scripting and
now i know quite well. Since i'm just learning c++ (self study guide) this
practical thing really helps me ... :-)
The disadvantage of needing to recompile everything for changes and the more
complex structure for people not knowing c++ ist there of course, but i think
everyone able to change the "/usr/local/bin/mencoder Bla bal bla" line in a
shell / perl script is able to change those syntax things in a c source
aswell - and i guess those are the only things that change (mencoder option
-a is now named -b ;-) Besides AFAIK there are alot of you out there using
vdr and vdr2divx who have good c knowledge aswell ...

The positive effect of c++ is that integrating vdr2divx as some kind of VDR
plugin is easier than it would be with a script !???

Now to the features:
Yes i like the idea of "profiles" for conversion - this is really a feature i
like to integrate - however the main concept behind vdr2divx was and still is
the fully automated conversion - no user interaction !
So there will be a default profile - for auto conversion and some other to
chose for conversion!
I must admit i never thought of the possibility to chose which cutted
recording to convert and which not - since i convert all !
I guess a solution that would fit my needs would be a "sub" menue in VDR that
appears in VDR after pressing "2" for the cutting process. This menue should
ask if this recording should be converted at all and if with which profile or
which parameters ...
I do not like the "extra" menue, from vdr main menue, where i have to select
all my cutted recordings each by each to convert - it should be integrated
into the "2" dialog :-) I don't know if the VDR concept allows this extension
? Klaus ? Maybe the plugin concept isn't that flexible (yet) !?
Why this ? I often only find the time at the weekend to cut all my recordings
from the week (up to 10 sometimes) an using an extra menue to mark all of
them for conversation [;-)] is really annoying - i like the automatism - as
said above i would like a new menue that would appear after pressing "2" -
however i don't know if this can be implemented that easy!

So, yes, i see a plugin for VDR, but this is just somekind of wrapper around
my vdr2divx - maybe someone likes to participate in my project !? Or i will
do later on my own - i just don't know !
The first 2.0 version should be as the current bash version is - running from
commandline processing files in the JobQ !
However i really like the idea of certain quality profiles to chose from via
osd !

Okay a progress bar or something would be nice - but it depends on the
implementation of the whole thing (plugin / standalone) ...
Restarting conversion from a break is nice, but without this feature in
mencoder, i think it's quite hard to do - i would not like to break between
pass1 and pass2 - sounds ugly to me :-), sorry !

Yes other formats like VCD/SVCD are possible, however i will first concentrate
on mpeg4, since this is the format i prefer !
AFAIK it's possible to create VCD content with mencoder aswell, so it should
be possible to create a profile (see above) for VCD conversion !
Maybe you got me wrong i'm not using ffmpeg itself, but it libavcodec, which
is a part of mencoder (mpeg4 encoding)!

Leading to the external programs:
I guess using mencoder is quite allright - it always worked very good for me !
PVAstruento with wine is a little ugly, but i'm not sure, if the author is
willing to build a pure linux version - we had that discussion about a year
ago - but we should try anyway!
Regarding ds.jar - has anyone tested this ? Does it repair broken streams
really as good as PVAstruemnto ? AFAIK it cannot create PS - so an external
muxer is needed !?
I don't think inventing such a "repair" util is trivial - i have used
PVAstruemnto from it's very first versions (with windows) and it took quite
some time since all errors that could appear in a stream could be fixed !
However mencoder does repair streams itself - but sometimes some pictures get
doubled or dropped where it's not necessary with PVAstrumento - and mencoder
does "repair" streams depending on the PTS - so i guess there must be some
more magic to it than this ;-)
But these are no decisions regarding design of vdr2divx - changing this later
on is not that hard, since they are all just calls of external programs...

Finally one suggestion for resizing the output avi via profile was sent to me
via PM - the main problem is that i tend to encoding interlaced (preserving
quality) - which forbids resizing - the other argument is that a fixed size -
of e.g. 640xY probably means upscaling for certain recordings (480x576) - so
maybe just a 75% value for scaling down by this factor !??
Don't get me wrong - Implementing scaling to fixed size is easy, but the
quality won't be that good ....

Now throw stones at me,

Martin ;-)