[vdr] Re: vdr2divx suggestions ? (poll)

Martin Hoffmann schrieb:
> Thanks for those many answers :-)
>
> So here are my thoughts summarizing a little bit:
>
> Yes, i want to use c++, because i'm just in the learning process of
c++ and
> this project gives me the chance to relly learn c++ - sounds funny,
but as i
> started vdr2divx project i had nearly no knowledge about bash
scripting and
> now i know quite well. Since i'm just learning c++ (self study guide)
this
> practical thing really helps me ... :-)
> The disadvantage of needing to recompile everything for changes and
the more
> complex structure for people not knowing c++ ist there of course, but
i think
> everyone able to change the "/usr/local/bin/mencoder Bla bal bla" line
in a
> shell / perl script is able to change those syntax things in a c source
> aswell - and i guess those are the only things that change (mencoder
option
> -a is now named -b ;-) Besides AFAIK there are alot of you out there
using
> vdr and vdr2divx who have good c knowledge aswell ...
>
> The positive effect of c++ is that integrating vdr2divx as some kind
of VDR
> plugin is easier than it would be with a script !???
>
> Now to the features:
> Yes i like the idea of "profiles" for conversion - this is really a
feature i
> like to integrate - however the main concept behind vdr2divx was and
still is
> the fully automated conversion - no user interaction !
> So there will be a default profile - for auto conversion and some
other to
> chose for conversion!
> I must admit i never thought of the possibility to chose which cutted
> recording to convert and which not - since i convert all !
> I guess a solution that would fit my needs would be a "sub" menue in
VDR that
> [...]
> However i really like the idea of certain quality profiles to chose
from via
> osd !
>
> Okay a progress bar or something would be nice - but it depends on the
> implementation of the whole thing (plugin / standalone) ...
> Restarting conversion from a break is nice, but without this feature in
> mencoder, i think it's quite hard to do - i would not like to break
between
> pass1 and pass2 - sounds ugly to me :-), sorry !
>
> Yes other formats like VCD/SVCD are possible, however i will first
concentrate
> on mpeg4, since this is the format i prefer !
> AFAIK it's possible to create VCD content with mencoder aswell, so it
should
> be possible to create a profile (see above) for VCD conversion !
> Maybe you got me wrong i'm not using ffmpeg itself, but it libavcodec,
which
> is a part of mencoder (mpeg4 encoding)!
>
> Leading to the external programs:
> I guess using mencoder is quite allright - it always worked very good
for me !
> PVAstruento with wine is a little ugly, but i'm not sure, if the
author is
> willing to build a pure linux version - we had that discussion about a
year
> ago - but we should try anyway!
> Regarding ds.jar - has anyone tested this ? Does it repair broken streams
> really as good as PVAstruemnto ? AFAIK it cannot create PS - so an
external
> muxer is needed !?
> I don't think inventing such a "repair" util is trivial - i have used
> PVAstruemnto from it's very first versions (with windows) and it took
quite
> some time since all errors that could appear in a stream could be fixed !
> However mencoder does repair streams itself - but sometimes some
pictures get
> doubled or dropped where it's not necessary with PVAstrumento - and
mencoder
> does "repair" streams depending on the PTS - so i guess there must be
some
> more magic to it than this ;-)
> But these are no decisions regarding design of vdr2divx - changing
this later
> on is not that hard, since they are all just calls of external programs...
>
> Finally one suggestion for resizing the output avi via profile was
sent to me
> via PM - the main problem is that i tend to encoding interlaced
(preserving
> quality) - which forbids resizing - the other argument is that a fixed
size -
> of e.g. 640xY probably means upscaling for certain recordings
(480x576) - so
> maybe just a 75% value for scaling down by this factor !??
> Don't get me wrong - Implementing scaling to fixed size is easy, but the

I scaling down my records to 480x360 (because I want to see the movies
at a older notebook) and have no lost of quality. for my it's also easy
to patch your scripts :o) ,but I have to do that every new version of
your script and have to notice to mplayer-parameter for the next time.
and that is' what I suggest to automism.