[vdr] Re: @Klaus Schmidinger: Suggestion for -O options in plugin-makefiles

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:27:20 +0100, "Rene Bartsch" <vdr@bartschnet.de> wrote:

> After setting HOSTCFLAGS and CFLAGS in "/usr/src/linux/Makefile" to "-O3"
> instead of "-O2" GCC 3.2 used "-O3" instead of "-O2" at any Makefile which
> didn't define a "-O"-flag itself.
>
> At least with RedHat.
>
> Please check it with the other distros ...

Spooky...How can the Makefile of the kernel affect compilation of another program.

I've checked this: It seems that autoconf/automake also includes the env. variables $CFLAGS and $CXXFLAGS, so if they're set, make uses them. They are not set in Gentoo, maybe RedHat get these values from the kernel-Makefile. Are you sure that this works also with non-autoconf Makefiles? What does echo $CFLAGS say?

Maybe something like CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -O2" would be nice in the vdr-Makefile: This way the system defaults would be used (if CFLAGS is defined) or some standard-values (in this case -O2). The only question is: will gcc use -Osomething from the $CFLAGS or -O2 ?

Best regards, Ronald.
--
 A crash reduces
 Your expensive computer