[vdr] Re: Found a really CRAZY solution for the RTL problem

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:
> > The new firmware has a problem with playback, not recording.
>
> While I can't say if I *really* tested this (I seem to remember
> that neither worked), the screen always went black (definately
> true in my case) if I tried to record RTL. No audio (except for
> maybe 1 sec) and no video. This is no longer the case. VDR

Of course: The screen goes black because the firmware no longer
accepts data to be *displayed* (transfer mode!).
Nevertheless, recording works fine. You might see lots of ring buffer
overflow messages because ringbuffer of the transfer thread is full.
A recording done this way cannot be replayed with the new firmware,
but plays without problems with the old firmware...

> works just like it should (i.e live viewing is possible). Of course
> I can also play the movie back.
>
> >Therefore, there should be a difference in the recorded data
> >streams when the recording has been done with or without
> >cam
>
> Hmm, I thought full featured cards can NOT record the full
> stream.

True, but you *never* record a full stream. vdr tells the driver which
*parts* of the stream - specified by the video/audio pids - should be
delivered. The driver configures the firmware to return *only* the
desired data.

> You don't need a CAM to replay (an previously recorded)
> encrypted movie. So I am not sure if the cam/no cam (recorded)
> streams will be different.

This is exactly my point. The replayed data must be different, since
the CAM is not involved during replay.

Oliver