[vdr] ON TOPIC:Re: Re: new features: RPM

[...] (some talk about english for runaways)
Going back to the original thread - RPM's would be a good idea. But I
believe VDR needs documentation consolodating, with documentation and FAQs
on Klaus' web site. Unless you are a real techy, installing VDR is not
trivial..
oh it is, send me a box of beer, make your linux connected to the internet, tell me your ip + rot login, and i will pump vdr (of course my flavor of vdr) to your pc, the rest comes up to an arbitrary universal ir (tv/code 087) and connecting it to com 1.

ok that's not mass capable, but i now have a huge stockpile of kölsch and pils for summer b.b.q. :-)))

Also, we are seeing the same questions being frequently asked over and over again on this list..
yes, but forums are usually the way to deal with that, see vdrportal.de,
there you get a set of downloads, howtos, and a bunch of active users
which fit together (the download with the howto, and the questions to both), and the downloads (patches,scripts,..) mostly are in english.
The talking is only german, but this reflects the user mixture, i would guess half are germans, the rest is capable of speaking/reading/writing english, so one english and one german board would do the job.

For the RPM way:
don't try, it will fail, not for the sake of rpm itself, but the various
legal issues:
the following plugins/addons/extra tools can't be distributed binary:

dvd (unless only usable for promo/homemade/dd dvd's)
mp3 (unless you leave out mp3)
anything with ac3 which alters any bit in the stream
mplayer (they do it, but no mayor distributor[mp3,ac3,asf,..])
anything generating mpeg2 (mpeg2encode,mpeg2enc,tosvcd,...)

some of these issues are only theoretical (no one _will_ sue you)
but if you are successful some one will come and bother you....

And in conjunction with all the needed software this rpm
would have to be an source rpm, since too many compiler/glibc
environments are around in user land, and the targeted audience
can hardly update their gcc/glibc just to install an rpm :-)

the download size (including the needed libs) would easily be 100mb+
and the packager would have to make some decisions, the user would have to live with (some plugins/patches cant be combined)

so one could make a vdr rpm, but you need some sort of team for it....

Regards Onno

--- spell checked by netscape 7.0 en/us dictionary ---