[vdr] Re: where is vdr goin' to?

Sascha Volkenandt schrieb:

Most of that dependencies are (apart from DVB) created by PlugIns, not by VDR itself, or am I wrong?

Of course, but what I mean is e.g. to use another DVB-driver which could easily be done when the DVB-driver is moved into a plugin. The headers and includes necessary to access DVB-API should be in the VDR-code or in a DVB-plugin. So any DVB-modules included in the kernel or stand alone by any vendor could be used by just having the same interface - DVB-API - but not sharing code.

I don't like to be limited to one unreliable part of software like the current DVB-driver. That's why I have moved off M$ after using it for nine years and decided for Linux and OpenSource two years ago.

But what drives me crazy in linux are the dependencies. For compiling you need the headers and includes, which often differ from one sub-version of a program/library to another. If you have one program demanding a new version and one program demanding a old version you're in trouble as you often can't install them in parallel.

That's why I'm praying for complete software-modules with well-defined interfaces. Just copy the necessary code of DVB-driver into VDR and provide VDR with that code.

I like VDR very much and Klaus has done great work!

But it's a hobby for him and his needs. But our needs may differ from user to user, so a roadmap would be fine to see if VDR will fullfill the needs.

I don't want Klaus to fix milestones on time-lines, but a nice ToDo and what he wants to do. This would also allow others to provide parts of code for VDR -> teamwork.

Additionally we had the problem VDR-1.0.4 had to be thrashed and completely rewritten as it was to static - and it seems we have the same problem for approaching 1.3. In turn, this means a lot of superfluos work to rewrite the core every time which is a drawback of every project of historical growth.

So my suggestion @Klaus:

Let's do some brainstorming which functions are needed for VDR.
Then we can sit down and do some software-engineering for a VDR-core which consists of encapsulated modules with open interfaces to be easily extendend with I/O-plugins.

This will of course be some awful month of discussing dry flowcharts and well-defined interfaces, but then you can distribute programmings-tasks on the list and we'll have a reliable and extendable VDR-core within the next time.

Rene