[vdr] Re: Improving VDR's OSD

> What I would like to improve a bit is the look of the osd. The osd is
> very functional, but compared to neutrino for example, it is a bit
> drab.
We're all aware of that, but it seems there's currently nothing we can do about it.

Neutrino's OSD looks so good because it uses the DBox's Framebuffer device (if I remember that correctly), the OSD is thus integrated by the OS into the MPEG-Stream.

VDR uses the DVB-Cards OSD-capabilities und leaves integrating it into the stream to the card itself - the only method you can rely on since not everyone has a TV-out capable graphics card.

The OSD is somewhat limited since the memory on the DVB-card is just 2M large and has to be shared with the driver.

There have been thoughts about increasing that memory here in the list to be able to render a full-size 256 color OSD, but it apparantly is impossible.

Thomas