[vdr] Re: System freeze - scanning recordings ... --> FLATFILE?

At Freitag, 3. Oktober 2003 17:25 Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> The various configuration parameters are read and evaluated
> at program startup, and may greatly influence the way the
> program behaves. Re-reading those files while VDR is running
> might work for some of them, but for instance the timers.conf
> is a little tricky in case a recording is currently going on
> or the user has a menu open that edits timers.

You're obviously right about this...

> Which configuration files would you want to change manually,
> and why can't this be done from within VDR?

Well I generally edit channels.conf and sometimes also setup.conf manually.
For setup.conf, it's just much faster than navigating the OSD while testing
parameters of own developments, even since my streaming-server is in the
living room, and my work-machine and test-client are in another room... For
channels.conf, it's MUCH faster, since I get most channel entries pasted
from other ppl's channels.conf. Whenever there is a recording going on
(which is the case quite often), I can't restart VDR immediately. So at
least reloading those two (and signalling PlugIns that they should try to
reload their setupfiles) would be fine here..

> Klaus

Anyway... Good to have you back :-)

Greetings,
Sascha