[vdr] Re: ARD choppy sound, KIKA weird sound problem

Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two issues with sound and vdr 1.2.5, dvb-1.0.1:
>
> 1.) I am experiencing a strange problem with sound on station ARD, BR3 and
> probably all others on the same transponder: The sound is choppy, which means
> it is missing frames, every second a couple of them. I have to switch the
> channels back and forth a couple of times before the sound eventually is ok.

This problem exist since some time now. There have benn discusiions on
this list about it recently.

The good new is that the recordings are not bad per se, if I process
them with X080/ds.jar and burn them to DVD they are playing fine.

One observation:

I had the problem with the first 3 episodes of the series "Jazz" on
WDR3, the later episodes seem to be fine. Processing the recordings with
X080. jar, the first 3 epsiodes showed a absolutely regular and
invariant GOP structure with a unusual high data rate, whereas the later
episodes showed the usual behaviour with diffent GOP sizies and
significantly lower data rates. So the problem has definitely something
to do with the encoding.

Unfortunately, I have no deeper knowledge about DVB/MPEG encoding.

> 2.) When I record films on KIKA and convert them with "tosvcd -a" to SVCD, the
> 44100 mpa is way to fast. Actually, the mpg-to-wav conversion fails. tosvcd
> uses something like
>     mpg123 -w test.wav original-sound.mpa
> to create a wav file which is further resampled to 44100 Hz sampling rate. The
> test.wav file is already playing to fast. I do not have this problem with
> other channels, like ARD, but only with KIKA so far.

I recorded "Urmel aus dem Eis" for my niece this morning and have not
yet deleted the seperated video / audio streams. The sound is in
48kHz/128 kbit/s mono. Could this be a problem?

Wolfgang