[vdr] Re: Again: Audio out via Soundcard

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:25:14PM +0100, hm@seneca.muc.de wrote:

> The question remains - how do I re-route the "analog" sound (i.e. not the
> 5.1 AC3) to my soundcard's output? I suspect that the DVB card's analog
> circuitry produces the noise. When I use the VDR as an MP3 player using
> MP3OSS and the soundcard, there is little if any noise.

I'm using the analog audio output from J2 which is not noisy at all.
To avoid any hum I've measured both grounding of the PC and the TV
set against the central heating radiator and turned the power plug
in the wall socket if needed.  This minimize the capacitive coupling
which is higher if the phase of the power line is connected on the
outer side of the transformer instead nearby the iron ring kernel
(no Voodoo, just simply physics:).

Beside the analog audio output of J2, I'm using the analog audio of
the DVB audio breakout to be connected to the A/V Receiver and also
there is no noise (OK mnost time the digital connection is used).
The question is: What is the reason of the noise you hear?

If possible you may spread the CPU's spectrum if possible in the
BIOS/CMOS setup.  Beside this it could be that the power supply
produce produces spikes which is filtered out by the sound card
but not by the DVB card.  But this is not only hearable but also
visible.  On the other hand which DVB card you're using?

       Werner