[vdr] Re: Converting VDR audio recordings to mp3...

"Laurence Abbott" <laz@club-burniston.co.uk> wrote

[regarding MPEG1 L2 / MPEG L3 audio "upwards compatibility]

> Interesting...didn't know that! How much difference is there in filesize
> between the two? Not much on first glance.

The filesize obviously depends on the bitrate used for encoding. At the same
bitrate files will not differ that much in size. But L3 needs a lower
bitrate to achieve the same level of listening quality as L2. So at the same
"listening quality" the filesizes _will_ differ.

> Hmmm...this would probably be with winamp for playback. I think I'll
> just leave them as mp2 for now, and then worry about converting them
> further if needed!

Just for the record: Winamp has no problem playing "mp2" (MPEG1 L2) audio.

Regards

   Wiljo