[vdr] Re: XOSD for VDR software-backends

> > Did anyone ever think about integrating VDR/NMM? Might offer some
> > interesting possiblities, at least network-transparent access should be
> > possible.
>
> I don't think it would make any sense to merge them. NMM is a DirectX-like,
> but completely network-based multimedia-middleware for linux. It's example
> implementation MMBOX covers nearly all functions of VDR (I think only
> cutting stuff is missing) plus X11 output with OSD. As it is node-based,
> you can implement any kind of input-/output-/reencoding-filter or what ever
> you want and link them by GUI.
>
> VDR is a very static stand-alone system for thin TV-boxes while NMM
> provides a complete, scalable multimedia architecture.

I rather thought about exposing some of VDR's functionality as nodes, that is
a source node that offers MPEG-2, an output node that accepts MPEG-1/2, EPG
and Timer distribution.

All this only makes sense if it is used in a network so that the VDR box in
your living room can act as a data source for other PCs or mobile devices.