[vdr] Re: Problems with mplayer / encoding cut recordings...

Also sprach Laz zu "25.11.2003 23:47" Anno Domini:
> I've been finding that some of my cut recordings cannot be played back
> with mplayer, basically because it cannot recognise the file type (I
> don't think it will let you force a codec, either!).
>
> More importantly, I cannot convert them with either mencoder or
> transcode, due to the same problem. These recording play back fine with
> vdr and xine, and the uncut versions play fine with mplayer!

Plays fine in xine? I never ever had a recording that played "fine", I
was lucky if anyone I tested played at least (with distortions!). What
version of xine are you using?

> After asking Google, I found reference to similar symptoms where
> increasing the cache for mplayer solved the problem (presumably it's
> reading more before giving up). This didn't work for me, even increasing
> the cache to 64 MB, the biggest it can go!
>
> Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, did they manage to get
> round it?

You can use vdrsync to demux and (with the help of tcmplex) even remux
the Recording to a MPEG program stream (PS, not PES) (and even author a
dvd of it using dvdauthor, and even create a DVD-ISO-Image using mkisofs
:-) ). This stream type makes no problems in any media player/encoder
supporting mpeg2. You can find vdrsync at http://vdrsync.vdr-portal.de/
. tcmplex is the mpeg-mux tool that comes with transcode.

If you prefer "the Windows(TM) way". You can use PVAStrumento to remux
the recording to a (non-DVD-compatible) MPEG-PS. There is also a
statically linked command-line version, which I used long time under
Linux with wine! You can find PVAStrumento at http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm.

I hope this helps.
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "/vmlinuz does not exist.