[vdr] Re: Problems with mplayer / encoding cut recordings...

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 07:19, Patrick Cernko wrote:
> Also sprach Laz zu "25.11.2003 23:47" Anno Domini:
> > I've been finding that some of my cut recordings cannot be played back
> > with mplayer, basically because it cannot recognise the file type (I
> > don't think it will let you force a codec, either!).
> >
> > More importantly, I cannot convert them with either mencoder or
> > transcode, due to the same problem. These recording play back fine with
> > vdr and xine, and the uncut versions play fine with mplayer!
>
> Plays fine in xine? I never ever had a recording that played "fine", I
> was lucky if anyone I tested played at least (with distortions!). What
> version of xine are you using?

I think it's xine-lib-1_rc2 (on Gentoo). Not sure if it plays all of it
fine, but enough of the vdr file to show it plays it, in contrast to
mplayer which doesn't even start playing.

> > After asking Google, I found reference to similar symptoms where
> > increasing the cache for mplayer solved the problem (presumably it's
> > reading more before giving up). This didn't work for me, even increasing
> > the cache to 64 MB, the biggest it can go!
> >
> > Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, did they manage to get
> > round it?
>
> You can use vdrsync to demux and (with the help of tcmplex) even remux
> the Recording to a MPEG program stream (PS, not PES) (and even author a
> dvd of it using dvdauthor, and even create a DVD-ISO-Image using mkisofs
> :-) ). This stream type makes no problems in any media player/encoder
> supporting mpeg2. You can find vdrsync at http://vdrsync.vdr-portal.de/
> . tcmplex is the mpeg-mux tool that comes with transcode.

I tried vdrsync before but I think that was fr converting radio
recordings, and it kept on giving floating point exceptions!

Aha! Just tried it to convert to MPEG2 and it seems to work. Cheers!

Why is it that some cut recordings don't work directly with mplayer?

> If you prefer "the Windows(TM) way". You can use PVAStrumento to remux
> the recording to a (non-DVD-compatible) MPEG-PS. There is also a
> statically linked command-line version, which I used long time under
> Linux with wine! You can find PVAStrumento at http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm.

Another option...

Cheers,

Laz